“Cinnamon … is an anti-inflammatory so it will be going into all my baking from now on. “
I kept her teaspoon of cinnamon in my version and would not consider leaving it out when I tweak this recipe as I think it added a nice flavor given that the GF flour(s) taste different from the all purpose wheat or white whole wheat flours I baked with in my pre low FODMAP life. Suzanne’s recipe also included a ½ teaspoon vanilla, which I absent-mindedly forgot to include. I do not think, given the cinnamon, that the vanilla would have added much to the overall taste. What I will want to play with in the future is the flour(s) I use as my cookies came out with a grainy/gritty texture that my husband found unpleasant. I noticed it too, and understand his preference for a bag of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies. But, if like me, commercial wheat flour based cookies are off your menu, then these are not that dreadful.
Chocolate Chunk & Pecan Cookies
- 1, 5.3 oz, Divine 70% Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 C all purpose GF flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour)
- ½ C brown rice flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1, 8 TBs, Earth Balance Vegan Baking Stick– or butter/margarine of your choice
- ¾ C brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- Break the chocolate bar into squares, and chop squares into quarters. Set chocolate aside in a bowl with the chopped pecans.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Add 2 TBs of the sifted flour mixture to chocolate and nuts.
- Use a stand mixer to cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat until well combined
- Take the wet ingredients and using a spatula, add the flour mixture.
- Fold chopped chocolate and nuts into the dough.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. (I used 3 trays)
- Scoop or spoon dough (I used a 1 ½ inch cookie scoop.) into equal sized portions and place on baking sheets. Flatten cookies a little because they will not spread much while baking.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating trays after 6 minutes.
My batch yielded 23 (yes 23, not 24) cookies.