Last night I was surfing the web looking for ways to use my new pure stevia powder and I got sidetracked. I saw a simple recipe for Buckwheat Pancakes that looked like crepes, or even wraps. It only called for buckwheat flour (2 cups), salt (2 tsp), water (3 + 1/3 cups) and an egg. It did however talk about soaking the flour overnight with a touch of acid (vinegar or lemon juice.) That intrigued me and decided to give it a go. I measure the water, removed 1 Tablespoon and replaced it with 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar. My 2 Qt Dough Doubler from King Arthur Flour was the perfect vessel for whisking the water and flour together,
then covering to place in the fridge.
This morning whiles the “polenta fries” were in the oven I took the buckwheat out, gave it a whisk or two, or three, as the flour had settled some, and added the egg. I forgot all about the salt, maybe someone distracted me.
I oiled and heated the pan. Then I spooned in some batter. It did not look great. It tasted worse. I have this mass of “stuff” and with so much water what can I convert it into without ending up with food for an army. The wonderful Buckwheat Bread I made but still have a good supply of in the freezer. No way can I get those proportions right. Gosh, but the batter is bitter and rubbery. Needs leavening as well as some other flour to balance the taste and texture. Light bulb, it will not be too wasteful if I add the end of a box of Gluten Free Bisquick that is in my cupboard. I measure, merely because if I post I will want to say. There is just about 1 full cup of Bisquick. In it goes. I taste, still bitter. Well, this all began with looking for a way to use pure stevia powder. My smallest measuring spoon is 1/8ths, while I have read stevia is measured in 1/32nds. Heck, go for an eighth cause this stuff is bitter. Retaste, getting better, another eighth of stevia seems like a good idea. Good decision. I cook up another pan of little silver dollar pancakes (and now they really are becoming pancakes.) Almost there, but they still lack something in taste and they are a devil to turn as they want to stick. Back to the cupboard. This time I pull out a jar of ghee. I put a couple of spoons full in a little glass bowl and pop it into the microwave to melt. Once again, just because I’ll be posting, I weigh the melted ghee, 5/8ths of an ounce. Into the batter and stir. (Now the oven timer is going off and I have quite the messy kitchen.) I decide my multi-tasking is not going to turn out too well so time to pack up the pancake project. The batter goes back to the fridge while I rescue the “polenta project.” A few hours rest will make the batter easier to work with in all likelihood.
Some other things accomplished, a clean kitchen, and no one else in the house. Time to find out what I have created from disaster #2. Thinking about it the grapeseed oil I used on the pan this morning might be part of the flavor problem. Back in the 1960s & 70s, everyone in my family cooked pancakes and fritters in melted Crisco. I could use the ghee but it is going to be fussy to get into the little wells of my pan. There is the tail end of an Earth Balance stick in the fridge. I can just pat the end of it into each circle while holding onto the foil wrapper. Here we go. And it goes well. Once the batter bowl is empty I have 40 little buckwheat silver dollar pancakes that taste nice. 20 go into the freezer. A good number go into the fridge. And a few get topped with a dab of plain yogurt and homemade raspberry chia jam and devoured by the hungry but now happy cook. Two disasters turned around.